The Engineering System Specialist works within the Service Quality Engineering department at the Honda Canada National Office (HCI). The incumbent’s purpose is to drive countermeasure activity through market problem identification, parts analysis, and field visits when required. The purpose of this activity to drive continuous quality improvement for the Canadian Honda automotive market.
The incumbent will also work collectively with Honda North America, Honda Research &Development, and all respective factories to quickly resolve market issues. Warranty data analysis and the creation of service publications are key functions within the scope of this position.
- Generate technical (Quality Information Correspondence) reports to communicate quality issues in the Canadian market to HNA (Honda North America) or relevant overseas manufacturing facility.
- Conduct data analysis of warranty claims and field reports to define and prioritize commonly occurring quality issues
- Collect and test failed warranty parts from the market to determine when further investigation is required and/or to identify problem cause. Verification testing of factory c/m’s prior to release of service bulletins.
- Coordinate and perform field visits as necessary for technical investigations/customer escalations/factory assistance.
- Generate service publications for dealers, other departments, and zones, outlining new and revised repair techniques to address issues identified recently in the market.
- Provide technical support to various groups within Honda Canada including Techline, Field Engineering Specialists, Customer Relations, Product Planning, Publications, Sales, Advertising, ISD, Training, and Legal.
- Coordinate and ensure proper completion of vehicle quality audits, automobile port modifications, and new model validation for IQS events/Service Manuals.
- Create appropriate technical presentations when required following NASC guidelines.
- Maintain top-bottom lists for warranty and Techline with the purpose of quickly identifying emerging trends and initiate c/m activity with the factories
- Provide support to Techline on how to handle contacts where the answer is not readily available. Advise on vehicle repair, what to do with replaced parts, what information to collect, diagnose method for telematics etc.
- Support Customer Relations group as required by providing technical information and timelines on current investigations.
- Work Closely with Technical Communications Analyst on investigations that require eBiz message, DVRs, parts collection and parts monitoring.
- Post-secondary Degree in Mechanical, Manufacturing, or Electrical Engineering required or 5+ years’ experience in a Quality Engineering role at an automotive manufacturer or supplier.
- Strong written/verbal communication skills including experience in preparing technical documents. Experience in MS Office including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Access
- Must have strong analytical, planning, organization, and strategic skills.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret Engineering drawings
- Must be a self-starter with ability to build collaborative relationships with internal and external affiliates
- Ability to use Quality Control Tools – SPC, Control Charts, etc.
- Hands on experience with vehicle repair/problem diagnosis
- Proven interest and ability to learn new vehicle technologies
- Tolerance Stack-up Analysis
- Working knowledge of CATIA
- Valid ‘G’ driver’s license required
- Willing and able to travel domestically and internationally on short notice required
- Willing and able to work overtime on short notice
- Engine FI-ECU /On Board Diagnostic system function and diagnostic experience
- Engine part terminology, construction and part function knowledge.
- Engine assembly / teardown & repair knowledge, would be an asset.
- Sound knowledge of QC tools.
- New Model development experience would be an asset.
- Ability to analyze root cause of complex problems & implement countermeasures
- HDS specific knowledge would be an asset
- Ability to perform basic electrical troubleshooting including understanding of electrical drawings.
- Proven ability to determine root cause of problem through use of analysis tools. (Microscopes, x-ray, measurement tools, etc)
Engineering System Specialist